Saturday, April 17, 2010

April Update

We decided to not go to committee for the little girl who's file we had. It was hard on me. Really. Really. HARD. The flood of guilt of saying no to a precious life, but we knew her medical needs were far greater than we could take on. We prayed for peace about the decision, prayed for a family to welcome her home quickly and we prayed for her medical needs. We prayed that God reveal His perfect plan, and the child that He wants to add to our family.

All at the same time, Michael's grandmother was placed in hospice and we were called to say our final goodbyes. We were told she wouldn't make it through the weekend, but to everyone's astonishment, she is still VERY VERY weak, but is still holding on. It's been agonizing on the family. It's gone on for over a month of her in hospice. She is not making blood or platelets, has refused further treatment and her numbers are too low to actually get a good read of where they actually are. This woman is strong. She is a fighter. She is amazing. I have to say that Granny is one of my favorite people in Michael's family. She is funny, brilliant, patient and kind. I don't think I've ever seen her without a smile on her face. She has faith in the Lord and is ready to go home (well, at this point, she is PAST ready to go home and is starting to get frustrated that God hasn't taken her home yet). We will celebrate for her when she is taken to heaven to be with the Lord, but we will cry for what we are losing. She is incredible. Her sickness and being put in hospice has been hard on us, even 3 hours away... especially because we are 3 hours away.


My boys, Robert and Andrew are at 2 different schools. Andrew goes to "preschool" that is 2 days a week from 9:30-2:30. It's what some would consider a "mother's day out". It is amazing and we love it. Robert is in Kindergarten at a private christian school and it's one of the best in the city. I'd actually say it IS the best in the city. We love it too and this year has been great for him! Juggling the schedules of 2 kids at two different schools and trying to keep my head above the water has been hard especially while trying to deal with work, pursuing adoption, completing paperwork, the start of t-ball and baseball practices for the season, volunteering at our AWESOME church, and a billion other responsibilities that we have as parents has pushed me to my limit. I love my life, make no mistake about it! I wouldn't change this busy life for the world, but who, this girl is worn out!

Add to everything that is going on, we have decided to homeschool Robert next school year. There is a lot involved in that decision, but let's just say that God doesn't like me to be comfortable. He likes to keep me on my toes. We are excited about this new adventure. In some ways it will increase my work here, but in lots of ways: it will simplify our lives. We're looking forward to turning the playroom into our school room and begin our learning at the Sloan Academy. I think Timmy (our cat) will be our mascot.

So, that about catches us up on where we are. I have to admit that for about 2 weeks after deciding to say "no" to that particular child, I couldn't talk about it. Not to anyone. I dug myself in a hole and refused to come out. I was in a real funk about the whole thing and I couldn't even bring myself to look at the Holt website; the wound was too open. It hurt too much. Seeing those faces of those children was too much for me. I'm just now getting back to checking my e-mail daily, checking the Holt site daily for updates and I'm ready to begin this again.

Here's a couple pictures from a recent visit to the Memphis Zoo! I can't wait to take our baby girl there. Our zoo is awesome and the boys love it and I know she will too!


No comments:

Post a Comment